Yesterday, we had the unique opportunity to do a service project, through the church, at Babin Yar. I am ashamed to say I had never even heard of Babin Yar before. After doing a little research, I was a little apprehensive-- I wanted to serve but I was not sure if I would be able to handle being there-- standing on the very ground where 100,000-150,000 men, women, and children were brutally murdered over the space of a few short years. Upon arriving, it was difficult to imagine that such horrors actually happened there-- it is such a beautiful park, and spring is starting to creep in slowly in Ukraine, so everything is beginning the transition from dull brown to this vivid, glorious green. It was a gorgeous day, despite being overcast-- birds were singing, and the air was fresh despite being in the middle of a city. Apparently, the leaders of the project did not expect so many volunteers to show up-- they didn't have enough supplies! So we took turns with what we had, raking and raking the layers of leaves and garbage that had collected on the ground and then been packed down under an entire winter of snow. It was truly humbling, to say the least, just being there, and seeing the ravine where everything happened, and being able to honor those people by doing something as simple as raking leaves.
As I raked I tried to wrap my brain around the situation. It just brought my mind over to how lucky I am to live-- I almost felt guilty because of it. All those lives taken so unfairly-- and here I was with such joy and happiness and blessings, and a whole future ahead of me. Why did they have to die, why not I? Here am I so lucky to experience living when so many of their lives were taken. I tried to imagine what they would have to say to me, if they could-- I kept thinking about that. I think they'd say something like......Yes, we are gone... our lives were taken, even stolen, from us. But you have yours-- so live. Remember the past, but do not dwell on the sorrows of it--only learn from them. Take your life-- that beautiful gift you have been given-- and live it. Be grateful for every breath. For every opportunity. Do not squander it away.
It was definitely a jumble of thoughts, but it inspired me so much. It made me want to be stalwart, to amplify my life and do good, to seize every moment and never take anything for granted. I think that's what they would want. For us to honor their lives-- honor them by doing all the good that we possibly can with ours.
[This is one of my favorite works in the entire world. It seemed fitting...
You amaze me dear. I can't even begin to express how much I wish I could see these same things! Your experiences sound so amazing! I know there are hard times, but it still sounds so cool. I'm a little jealous. But I am even more happy for you and for all your experiences! Thanks so much for sharing, and for spreading a little light and gratefulness to us all. :) I love you darling!
Kait i freaking love this post! thank you so much for sharing your words. you are a great writer
ReplyDeleteYou amaze me dear. I can't even begin to express how much I wish I could see these same things! Your experiences sound so amazing! I know there are hard times, but it still sounds so cool. I'm a little jealous. But I am even more happy for you and for all your experiences! Thanks so much for sharing, and for spreading a little light and gratefulness to us all. :) I love you darling!
ReplyDelete