Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Easter European Tour, Part 2

When I left off, we were just boarding the tour bus from Vienna to head to Prague. Yes, we did in fact visit 3 countries in one day... Hungary, Austria, and the Czech Republic...just wow. It was an exhausting day, but totally worth it! After arriving to the hotel in Prague, Anna and I completely collapsed in our hotel room.
Day 4 arrived. I woke up early, had breakfast, and headed out to this optional tour to the Sychovy Castle. It was . . alright, but I'll be honest, I felt pretty ripped off. It ended up costing about 50 bucks for us to go, and we couldn't even understand the tour guide, as she was of course speaking Russian. So it was basically us looking at old things in this drafty castle, being shuffled around by a lady who reminded me exactly of a female version of Mr. Filch.
Sychovy Castle

Back to Prague for us, where we spent the day with an ENGLISH tour guide! It was so great. Here are some of the places we visited with him:

"The smallest street" in Prague.. has it's own red/green light, you have to push a button and wait for the green man to appear so as not to run into anyone coming from the other direction.. pretty great.

The Venice of Prague! Beautiful!

These people enjoying their lunch don't know that underneath their feet
is the very place where the bodies inflicted with the Plague
during the Dark Ages were piled...

Charles Bridge! Definitely one of my favorite places in Prague.

The Astronomical Clock! The people of Prague are so proud of their lovely clock.
 Legend has it that the king had the clock-designer's eyes gorged out after he created it,
 so there would never be another clock like it in the world....
After exploring with our tour guide, it was time for the dinner cruise! I was pretty dang excited. A dinner cruise along the Vltava River in Prague? What? So surreal! Here are some of my favorite pictures from the cruise:





After the cruise a few of us did a little more exploring.... Prague is beautiful at night.

Old Town Square

Day 5: Day trip to Dresden, Germany
This city was basically completely destroyed during WWII, and has since been rebuilt from the ruins. We didn't have a tour guide, and so we spent the day exploring wherever we felt like, and of course the occasional Gelato... (sarcastic emphasis on occasional...I definitely have a chronic addiction)
Holding Rodya up in front of an old church that I think survived

At the "Zwinger"

It was cool to think we were just "spending a day" in Germany, as if it is just the most common and natural thing for us to do. I loved Germany, and I am excited to go back in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment